A contraceptive pill is a kind of a pill which a woman takes to avoid unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. These pills are also known as birth control pills and are one of the most widely used methods of contraception in the world today. It is a daily pill which contains hormones that are effective in changing the way the body works and also prevent pregnancy.
These pills are considered safe and effective in most cases but they may often be associated with several side effects due to which many women avoid taking them. The following are some of the major side effects of contraceptive pills for women.
Common Side Effects
- One of the most common side effects of a contraceptive pill for women is headache and a feeling of dizziness. This may persist in some cases but is likely to die off eventually.
- Taking contraceptive pills or birth control pills may often result in tenderness of the breasts for women. This happens due to the hormonal changes which the pill causes in the body of the female.
- It is common for women on contraceptive pills to experience mood swings. Mostly, these mood swings are mild but in some cases they may be extreme and might require consultation of the doctor.
- In the case of the pills which contain progestin, spotting may occur and this too is a common side effect of a birth control pill for women.
- Another very common side effect of taking a birth control pill is a feeling of nausea. This is a mild side effect where one must not worry much.
Other Side Effects
- A less common side effect of taking a contraceptive pill is the formation of blood clots within the blood vessels. This is especially seen in the case of women who have a habit of smoking or are above the age of 35.
- Dark and spotty pigmentation on the skin may occur in some cases of women who are on contraceptive pills. This is another less common side effect which must be referred to the doctor.
- Decreased libido is another side effect of taking contraceptive pills which may occur only in a few cases. You can try changing your pill if you are experiencing this side effect.