An abortion pill is a kind of a pill which helps in aborting an unwanted pregnancy. In medical terms, this kind of a pill is known as mifepristone and it works by blocking the progesterone hormone. By blocking this hormone, the lining of the uterus tends to break down and thus the pregnancy gets aborted. Generally, an abortion pill is followed by a medicine which is called misoprostol.
Abortion pills are not self administered and one has to take a written prescription from the doctor to avail them. These days, with the rise in teenage pregnancy, the use of abortion pills in teenagers has also increased. The following are some of the common side effects of abortion pills in teenagers:
- Nausea, vomiting, heavy bleeding from the vagina are some of the common symptoms associated with abortion pills. These symptoms are normal and tend to die down in a few days.
- Another side effect of taking an abortion pill in the case of teenagers is having temporary flushes or sweating.
- Any teenager taking an abortion pill may also experience diarrhoea and dizziness.
- Some other side effects associated with abortion pills in teenagers include oral ulcers, fever, chills and headaches.
- Heavy uterine bleeding which tends to become excessive and prolonged is a risk associated with taking abortion pills in the case of teenagers. Sometimes, this can increase so much that the teenage female might have to take blood transfusion.
- In ten percent cases of abortion pills in teenagers, it has been found that the abortion procedure remains incomplete and a surgical abortion has to be done to complete the procedure. This is also a risk which is associated with taking mifepristone in teenagers.
- According to certain research work done on this subject, it has been found that about 20% of the teenage females who have taken an abortion pill had to face atleast one significant complication. Some of these complications include infection, incomplete abortion, chemical abortion haemorrhaged.
- The most dangerous risk with taking an abortion pill is that it puts the future pregnancies in grave danger.
- A psychological risk associated with an abortion in teenage years is that post-abortive women are more likely to have suicidal thoughts and may even consider committing suicide. They may even experience depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.