What are the reasons of Dilation and curettage?
This procedure is performed for many reasons, D and C is a procedure used to diagnose a medical condition which is referred as diagnostic D & C; this procedure is also used in treating medical problems and conditions, this is called as therapeutic D and C. Therapeutic D and C will remove the content of the uterus during following situations.
Miscarriage: The tissues from are passed completely during miscarriage, D & C is will help to remove this tissue.
Abortion: When a woman chooses to end her pregnancy, then dilation and curettage are done to remove the uterus content.
Treatment of molar pregnancies: A tumor forms in the place of normal pregnancy placenta. This can be treated by the D&C procedure.
Excessive vaginal bleeding: In the case of excessive or prolonged vaginal bleeding D&C may be done to treat this medical condition.
Procedure of Dilation and Curettage
- Before D and C doctor will ask you for few blood tests.
- Patients should not eat food or drink before D and C procedure.
- Blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, and pulse are monitored during the D and C procedure.
- The entire process takes about 30 minutes to complete.
- Dilation and Curettage are performed by the doctors in the operating room. You may be given medications to relax you or you to put on sleep for the short time.
- Your doctor will slowly widen the opening of your Cervix (uterus).Opening your cervix can cause cramping.
- If this procedure is performed in the doctor, now you will receive medications that numb your cervix and make it easier to open.
- After dilating or opening the cervix, tissue from inside the uterus is removed with a scraping instrument known as a curette. (A suction tube or the specialized instruments).
- Your doctor may want to look inside your uterus by inserting a special device called hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy is attached to a camera.
- A hysteroscopy will allow your doctor to see a magnified view of the inside of the uterus.
- This is especially important if the D&C is done when you are not pregnant, to diagnose a cause of abnormal
Post Dilation and Curettage Care
- After the completion of the procedure, the patient kept under observation for few hours in a recovery or post-anaesthesia care unit.
- By this, you can monitor some health complications such as excessive bleeding, and helps you to recovery from anesthesia.
- Some people have vomiting and nausea with general anesthesia, but it can be treated with few medications.
- Almost every woman after D and C can get back to the irregular activities within two days or so.
- You may observe spotting and cramping for few hours, it is normal and it can be treated with medication.
Inserting douches, tampons in the vagina should be completely avoided for few days and should take health provider advice for safely sexual intercourse.