For most of the women abortion is not just medical procedure, but it is considered as life changing event, which can bring significant physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences.
Apart from being a simple medical procedure, it has considerable risks involved with it. Some of the significant abortion risks are discussed below.
Significant risks involved in abortion:
- Heavy bleeding: Bleeding after the abortion procedure is quite common. But if your cervix is torn or punctured then it can lead to heavy, abnormal bleeding. This kind of severe bleeding after abortion is known as hemorrhaging. Only in some cases, this kind of abortion risk needs surgery.
- Infections: Any fetal part left inside the womb (abnormal or incomplete abortion) can cause infections for your pelvic parts. These infections can also be caused due to the surgical instruments which are inserted into the uterus during the surgery. The pelvic infection can be identified with persistent fever.
- Incomplete abortion: Some times the abortion can be incomplete with some unwanted fetal parts left inside the uterus. This can lead to severe complications after the abortion.
- Perforation of the uterus: The major risk in abortion is puncturing or perforation of the uterus. This can be due to improper use of surgical instruments during the surgery. This kind of risks in abortion can lead to hysterectomy that is removal of uterus.
- Damage to internal organs: The surgical procedure involved in abortion has many complications. During the surgery, the surrounding organs near the uterus can be injured. This is also one of the major factors of abortion risks.
- Scars on the uterus lining: Because of suction tubing, curettes and the use of other surgical instruments there is a chance for permanent scars on uterus lining.
- Cervix injury: Cervix puncture is a considerable risk in abortion. Damage or injury to cervix can cause severe vaginal bleeding which in turn needs a surgical repair.
- Anesthesia: There are several complications involved with the use of general anesthesia during the surgery. It can cause heart attack, convulsion in body functions and in some rare cases it can lead to death.
Other significant abortion risks:
- Breast cancer: This is considered as major risk in abortion. About 50% of women are affected by this type of cancer after abortion.
- Premature delivery: When you go through one or more induced abortion surgeries, there is a significantly increased risk of premature delivery in future. This kind of abortion risk is mainly associated with several complications like cerebral palsy, prematurity in brain, eye problems and several bowel diseases.
- Infertility: This is a very rare case in the risks of abortion, where a woman might not get pregnancy in future.
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases: This can be a life threatening risk for you after abortion, which can lead to infertility and ectopic pregnancy. About 5% of women suffer with pelvic inflammatory diseases.
Psychological effects of abortion:
Many women suffer with emotional and psychological problems after experiencing abortion. Some of these problems are depression, acute feeling of grief and fear of disclosure, eating disorders, suicide tendencies, anxiety and also increased consumption of alcohol and drugs.
These are some of the risks involved in abortion. So think before you go for an abortion surgery. Avoid abortion, unless and until it is obligatory in terms of your health.