The vagina, also known as the birth canal, is a very sensitive part of the female’s body. It is susceptible to infections especially during intercourse.
It is exposed to direct contact, being the entry point of the women’s reproductive system.
In order to keep your vagina clean and well protected against harmful bacteria, you have to wash it regularly with soap and water.
There are also hypoallergenic and pH-balanced products which you can use. However, as you grow old your resistance also decreases. Here are important symptoms of vaginal atrophy which you should be aware of:
- Irritation or itchiness[vaginal itching]
- Burning sensation
- Lacks flexibility
- Labia becomes small, flat, and colorless
- Prone to infection
- Vaginal pH rises, making it more alkaline
- Shortening and narrowing of the vagina as the muscular layer is replaced with fibrous tissues
- Lack of vaginal lubrication especially during intercourse due to imbalanced hormone levels
Do not be alarmed when you notice these symptoms. Most of them can be treated with antibiotics and other conventional treatments. The first step you should take is seeing your doctor immediately before the symptoms result to more serious problems.