It’s true, women live longer than men! Up to 10 years longer than men, according to some estimates! 85% of those that live up to and beyond 100 years are women as well.
Researchers have found several reasons why women live, on an average 5 years longer than their male counterparts:
- Women’s hearts are said to be the main reason for this. While men’s hearts lose 25% of their pumping power by the time they reach the age of 70 while women’s hearts remain as strong.
- The world’s major killers are said to be heart disease and stroke, which women develop in their 70’s and 80’s whereas men get these problems while still in their 50’s and 60’s.
- There is also a possible chromosomal reason for this disparity in longevity between men and women. In women, it is thought that cells can perhaps be protected by a slightly better variation of a gene on the second X chromosome. Men don’t have this luxury and don’t get this choice and perhaps suffer for it.
- Also men exhibit dangerous behavior in youth when they go through what is called a testosterone storm and this is another reason that they may die earlier.
- Also men, when they attempt suicide are more likely to succeed than women.