Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer among both men and women. This is a dangerous cancer which is life threatening if diagnosed at a later stage. But if skin cancer is identified and diagnosed at a relatively early stage, there are high chances that it would be treated successfully.
One method of treatment which is used to cure skin cancer in women is radiation therapy.
Radiation Treatment for Skin Cancer in Women
In this treatment method, radiation is directed towards the target tissue and the energy which this radiation emits destroys the cancerous cells.
Radiation therapy easily kills off the malignant cells but in some cases, it also tends to destroy some of the normal cells around the cancer cells. The main type of radiation which is used for treating skin cancer is X-Rays.
But radiation therapy is not suitable for all kinds of skin cancers and depends upon the exact type of cancer, the site of cancer, patient preference and suitability of other treatments etc.
It is important to understand that there are many negative side effects of radiation treatment for skin cancer in women. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
Early Side Effects
Some of the early side effects have been given as follows:
- The skin which is exposed to the radiation often tends to become very warm and red. Infact, in some cases, it also becomes oozy and moist.
- Some other skin chances include dryness, peeling, itching and blistering etc.
- Fatigue is also a common side effect of radiation therapy for skin cancer in females.
Late Side Effects
The following are some of the side effects which are observed a few weeks after radiation therapy has been given to treat skin cancer:
- Some women have observed problem of diarrhea after getting the radiation treatment for skin cancer.
- Hair loss on the treatment area is another side effect of radiation therapy for skin cancer.
- Nausea and vomiting are other common side effects which may be observed by those females who have been given radiotherapy treatment.
- Some people also observe swelling on the treated area and report trouble in swallowing.
- Urinary and bladder changes are some of the other after effects of radiation treatment for skin cancer in women.
- Joint problems, infertility, mouth problems and secondary cancer are some other late after effects of this treatment.
photo credit: (www.southfloridaradiationoncology.com)