For any woman who is suffering from cervical cancer, the treatment method will totally depend upon the stage of cancer at which the disease has been diagnosed. The treatment can be in the form of a range of therapies. One of the common treatment methods involved to cure cervical cancer is hysterectomy.
This is a surgical procedure which involves the removal of the uterus or the womb from a woman’s body and is generally carried out only when the cervical cancer is diagnosed in its later stages. But depending upon the size of the tumor and its exact stage, the type of hysterectomy for cervical cancer may vary. Let’s find out more:
Types of Hysterectomy for Cervical Cancer
- Partial or Supracervical Hysterectomy: This is a type of a hysterectomy for cervical cancer in which the upper portion of the uterus is removed and the cervix is left intact.
- Complete of Total Hysterectomy: This is another type of a hysterectomy for cervical cancer in which both the cervix as well as the uterus is removed. This type of hysterectomy is the most common of all the types.
- Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy: This is a kind of surgical procedure which involves the removal of not only the uterus and the cervix but also the ovaries as well as the fallopian tubes.
- Radical Hysterectomy: The type of hysterectomy in which the uterus, the cervix, the fallopian tubes, the ovaries, the upper vagina as well as the surrounding tissue are removed is known as radical hysterectomy. This is the most extensive type of hysterectomy and may also involve the removal of the lymph nodes.
Types of Hysterectomy Surgical Procedures
The names mentioned above are the types of hysterectomies while the following are the major types of surgical procedures which are required to carry on the hysterectomy treatment:
- Vaginal Hysterectomy: this procedure is carried out by making a small incision at the top of the vagina. The uterus is separated from the blood supply as well as the connecting tissue through this incision and then it is removed through the vagina.
- Total Abdominal Hysterectomy: in this the incision of about 5 inches is made on the abdominal wall and the uterus is reached from this incision.
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: in this kind of hysterectomy surgical process, special type of surgical tools are required to work their way through the incisions which are made in the vagina as well as the abdomen.
photo credit: (www.ladycarehealth.com)