Being a woman entails a lot of health problems. A woman’s body is more complicated than men.
As such, women are prone to acquiring more diseases than men.
Thankfully, advancements in medicine and science have given way to different health tests for women.
Learn more of these tests and identify what else you need to undergo.
- Pap smear: Among the health tests for women, pap smear is the most common. Developed in 1951 by Dr. George Papanicolaou, its purpose is to detect abnormal changes in the cervix which may lead to cervical cancer.Considered as one of the most important health tests for women, a pap test must be done within three years from the first sexual intercourse. Because of the advent of this test, cervical cancer cases have reduced tremendously.
- Mammogram: A woman’s breast is a powerhouse of tissues. Every year, hundreds of women suffer from breast cancer. Such disease could have been avoided had a mammogram test was availed of earlier. Mammograms are health tests for women who are forty years old and above.A mammogram is a painless and safe test that helps detect cancer. There are several health tests for women necessary in detecting breast cancer. However, mammograms are most effective such that when cancer is immediately detected, the five year survival rate is increased by 96%.
- Bone density test: Women over the age of 65 and those who underwent hysterectomy should consider getting a bone density test. One of the health tests for women, it aims to determine osteoporosis at an earlier stage. By undergoing one of these health tests for women, the chances for the disease to be treated and reversed is high.
- STD Tests: STD tests are required for women who have vaginal discharges. Although vaginal discharge is not an indication that one has sexually transmitted disease, it can be indicative of vaginal infections. These health tests for women are available at any age.
- Cholesterol Screening: One of the primary health tests for women is cholesterol screening. Through this test, the development of heart diseases is easily detected.However, pregnant women are not advised to undergo this test since their cholesterol level is usually higher.Further, such health tests for women can only be given to healthy patients since certain illnesses may result to false low tests.Did you know that heart diseases among women is the leading cause of death among American women? Well, there are available health tests for women to protect themselves for acquiring these diseases.Learn about your good and bad cholesterol as well as blood fats known as triglycerides. Having one’s blood pressure regularly checked is also important. Whenever one experiences palpitations, chest pains and irregular heartbeats, getting an echo cardiogram will prove helpful.
- Colorectal Cancer Tests: Colonoscopies are important health tests for women who are in their late forties to early fifties. These tests must be availed of in a ten-year interval. Once detected at its early stage, the five-year survival rate is increased by 90%.