What is PID?
Pelvic inflammatory disease is an infection of the female reproductive organ; it is caused by the complications of STD (Sexually transmitted diseases), like gonorrhea, Chlamydia, etc. This can cause great damage to the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and other organs. Sometimes PID can occur after gynecological procedures and it is common in women who are under the age of 25 (at this age the chlamydia and gonorrhea infections are common)
Signs of PID
- Lower abdominal tenderness (often bilateral)
- Mucopurulent vaginal discharge
- Adnexal and cervical tenderness on bimanual palpation
- Service it is seen on speculum exam.
- Pyrexia through may be apyrexial
- Palpable adnexal mass may be present
Symptoms of PID
The symptoms of the pelvic inflammatory disease can vary from very mild to severe. Here are few symptoms which can be noticeable.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge (Post coital or between the periods)
- Undefined pain or tenderness in the tummy or lower abdomen
- Heavy or painful periods
- Unusual bleeding (after sex or in between periods)
- Some women can experience pain during sex or intercourse.
- Lower back pain
- May be asymptomatic
- Lower abdomen pain is very common symptom
- Painful urination
- Foul smell vaginal discharge
If you have ever experienced any above symptoms mentioned above, then you need to visit your doctor for a sexual health check. Sexual health check includes set of tests like STIs (sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and gonorrhea), vaginal examination, etc. All these can be done by your local sexual health service or doctor or any other family planning clinic.
How to diagnose PID?
By knowing the signs and symptoms your doctor will diagnose PID. You doctor will run few tests to confirm the diagnosis. PID tests include such as:
- Cervical culture to check your cervix for infections
- Pelvic exam to check your pelvic organs
- Urine test which will help you to check signs of blood, cancer, and other diseases
After collecting all the above samples, your doctor will send the samples to a laboratory for test.
How can you prevent PID
There are few ways to prevent PID, by taking few simple home remedies some of them are as follows.
- Consumption of food which is rich in antioxidants and calcium. Diet is the first step you can take to fight against bacterial infections which are responsible for PID. Consume foods like such as dark green leafy vegetables, spinach, kale, broccoli, beans; include nuts like almonds and dairy products like milk in your diet for calcium.
- Include antioxidant rich foods like tomatoes, cherries, blueberries, bell pepper will also aid the recovery process by virtue of their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Have daily multivitamin or antioxidant supplements, if you are not able to meet sufficient nutrients through your diet. Take daily multi vitamin supplements like vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, and minerals like magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
- Also, take omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation. Go for fish oil capsules (1 to 2 capsules per day), or consume foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids from food sources such as flax seeds, salmon, chia seeds, beef, walnuts, tofu, etc.
- Probiotic supplement (which contains Lactobacillus acidophilus), they contain colony forming units which maintain the health of your gastrointestinal and immune systems
- Grapefruit seed oil will boost your immune system and fight against inflammation with its antibacterial properties.
- Green tea is great for antioxidant properties, drink green tea made from green tea leaves.
- Cat’s claw is best for its antibacterial and antifungal activity will help with inflammation.
- Bromelain also helps with this health condition. Bromelain is naturally found in pineapple.
- Reishi mushroom also is helpful in boosting immunity and fighting inflammation.
- Olive leaf boasts of antibacterial activity and immunity-boosting properties.
- Castor oil can reduce cramping and pain and can help with chronic PID. This is the traditional home remedy to treat the pain.
- Garlic has antibacterial properties; it treats bacterial caused vaginal discharge and vaginitis.
- Apple cider vinegar cures vaginal infections; it also has antimicrobial and antifungal pathogens.
- Turmeric has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties; turmeric powder can treat bacterial infections of the vagina, excess vaginal discharge and in particular, PID.
- Baking soda is a useful treatment for the pelvic inflammatory disease. You can get rid of the foul smell of vaginal discharge and it treats pH imbalanced levels. Add two teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of water Add one or two teaspoons of baking soda to your glass of water and drink daily.
- Ginger is another herbal remedy that has strong antimicrobial properties. Its anti-bacterial properties will also help fight the PID infection
All these above discussed are the best home treatment for Pelvic inflammatory diseases, before following these home remedies for PID, do consult your doctor because some of them may link to the medicine which you are using.
Care for yourself
Many women with pelvic inflammatory diseases result in infection with sexually transmitted infections. To prevent this infection the best option is to use a condom every time during the intercourse, mainly if you are having with new partners. If you do not take care of yourself, the condition may get worse by repeated infections.