Lactation is the secretion of milk from breasts. It is an infant’s privilege and a mother’s pleasure to breast-feed. It is a natural phenomenon, which benefits both the mother as well as child and should not be avoided.
The Benefits of Breast Feeding
- Mother’s milk is naturally sterile and it protects the baby from many infections and diseases.
- It is always available at right temperature, suitable for the child.
- Mother’s milk serves as a good store of IgA ad lectoferrin, which is not available in such a high concentration in any other milk. It increases the immunity of the child against a variety of bacteria and protects the infant from many diseases.
- Various digestive enzymes present in human milk make it more suitable and easily digestible for the baby.
- Milk lactose present in the milk inhibits growth of E. coli, and poliovirus, thus protecting the baby.
Thus you can see the importance of breastfeeding. You should adopt all means to ensure your baby gets the right quantity and quality of breast milk. You can increase the supply of your breast milk with the help of natural herbs. One such Himalayan herb long used in Ayurvedic medicine is Shatavari.
Shatavari (Asparagus Racemose)
The Scientific name for Shatavari is Asparagus racemose. According to Sanskrit, Shatavari means” one who possesses 100 husbands”. Asparagus racemosus is an important herb which is well known for its pharmacological applications. A lot of medicinally importance attributes have been assigned to this herb. Key component of this herb is saponins. Shatavari as a liquid extract is highly concentrated and is quickly absorbed.
The Properties of Shatavari Herb
- It provides relief from common digestive problems like diarrhoea, heartburn, inflammation of digestive tract, etc., that bother the breastfeeding mothers often during lactation period.
- Have it to boost your immune system as it enables you to fight off various forms of infections.
- Helps in lactation by improving the levels of prolactin
- The phytoestrogen properties help in breast milk production.
- The antidepressant activity of this extract will help you to cope with depression post delivery.
Formulations & Preparations of Shatavari –
- Shatavari is available as a single herb extract, in both a USDA certified organic liquid extract tincture, and in 60 and 120 count concentrated liquid in a capsule. Take 500mg capsules twice daily with warm milk.
- Tablets contain Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) root extract – 500 mg. Take 1 tablet twice daily or as recommended by your physician with warm milk for best results.
- Take powder of Asparagus recemosus (Shatavari) in the dose of 1gm daily along with milk to maintain the quality of lactation.
- Other generic preparations of Asparagus recemosus (Shatavari) is Shatavari Ghrita. Take these preparations to increase the quantity of your breast milk.
Thus on a concluding note, breast milk is absolutely necessary for your baby and there is no alternative for it. Shatavari is a natural herb which increases the production of breast milk. Have it happily as it is safe and has no side effects.