Acne is a common problem that happens to a lot of us, including both males and females of different age groups. There can be many reasons and causes for acne to occur and some of them include diet, genetics, weather and bacteria. Many times, acne is also associated with the hormonal changes and first occurs during puberty.
But another time in life when acne is likely to occur is during a female’s menopause phase. During menopause, women experience a lot of hormonal changes due to which acne can occur. Thankfully, there are many ways to deal with this problem of menopausal acne and get rid of this completely. The following are the top ones:
- The first way to deal with and treat menopausal acne is to talk to your doctor about the hormonal imbalances during menopause. An overabundance of testosterone or the lack of estrogen might cause the acne but the doctor can suggest hormonal medications which might help to get rid of this problem.
- It is a good idea to cleanse your face and your skin atleast twice everyday using an antibacterial soap or cleanser. This will help to remove the excess dust, dirt, sweat and bacteria and will avoid causing more acne. Moreover, the everyday pollution and sweat can clog the pores of your skin and may worsen the acne and hence regular cleansing or cleaning become necessary.
- Another way to treat menopausal acne is to keep your skin well hydrated and well moisturized. As we age and reach the menopausal stage, our skin may lose its moisture and elasticity. By not moisturizing your skin regularly, your body may produce excess quantities of oil so that it can hydrate itself. But this may worsen the acne condition and should be avoided. Use a good moisturizer as per your skin type and apply it daily.
- During the menopausal stage, it is important to pay attention to your diet. Thus eating a healthy diet is very important and even works well against the acne. By not getting enough nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and fresh foods, the acne can worsen.
- There are many acne treatment creams available in the market and can be applied on the affected area of the skin to treat the problem. These creams and lotions consist of an ingredient called benzoyl peroxide which helps in the treatment of menopausal acne. This ingredient kills the bacteria and clears up the acne quickly.
- You can also make your home remedial solution for treating acne. For this, you will need to mix baking soda with water to make a paste. This paste can be applied on the acne and leave it there for about 20 minutes before washing it off. The baking soda will eliminate the bacteria by absorbing the extra oil.
- You can also dip a cotton ball in witch hazel and apply this to your skin. This ingredient works as a natural toner and kills off the bacteria, leaving the skin clear.