If you are at menopause stage, you should follow menopause diet to deal with the changes that occur at the time of menopause. Menopause diet is about a balanced diet that contains certain types of food while forgoing other foods.
You should incorporate different foods with different nutrients which are necessary for your body. You cannot prevent menopause as every woman experiences it, but you can control the symptoms of menopause through menopause diet.
You can get relief from symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, mood swings and bloating with menopause diet. You can feel better with well balanced diet. Menopause makes it necessary to include certain types of foods to prevent problems and illnesses that often occur at that stage.
Fruits and vegetables
Melons and citrus fruits are highly recommended as they are high in potassium and balance sodium and water retention.
Dried fruits like figs and apricots should be included. Include vegetables like broccoli, yams and collard greens which make your menopause symptoms to ease.
Omega-3 essential fatty acids! You have to increase the consumption of foods that are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids which include tuna, sardines, salmon, trout and herring as they meet the required criteria of menopause diet.
Soy products and nuts! Soy products can be beneficial to you if you are going through menopause. You can find soy in tofu, soybeans, soy milk and yogurt. You can meet your nutritional needs with nuts like almonds, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, and sunflower seeds.
The above foods can help to reduce your menopause symptoms as well as make you become healthy.
Healthy menopause diet:
- Increase your intake of vegetables like spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes and collard greens.
- Include soluble fiber in your menopause diet regularly.
- Avoid fried foods and instead use boiled and baked foods.
- Use brown rice instead of white rice.
- Include beans and lentils in your diet.
- Eat whole wheat bread, wheat germ, oats, and rye instead of white bread.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine, alcohol and other colas.
- Avoid processed cooking oils and use olive oil, canola oil, flax seed oil and wheat germ oil.
Vitamins for menopause diet:
- Vitamins are essential in menopause diet.
- Vitamin B2 or riboflavin is found in kidney, liver, soya beans and mushrooms, which can reduce perimenopausal headaches.
- Vitamin B6 or pyridoxine helps to reduce depression and also protects against osteoporosis and heart diseases. It is found in bananas, whole grains, seeds and nuts.
- Vitamin B6, folic acid and vitamin B12 helps in reducing homocysteine levels, as high levels are associated with osteoporosis. You can get folic acid from green leafy vegetables. Vitamin B12 can be found in cheese, fish, eggs, and liver.
Menopause brings specific illnesses, but your age brings many more illnesses. Therefore, it is essential to follow a healthy diet, in which you should neglect foods that contribute to your overall health.