Insomnia is a condition in which an individual faces difficulty in maintaining or getting sleep; in other terms insomnia is stated as sleep deprivation. In this condition or disorder it becomes difficult for a person to fall asleep or stay asleep. Insomnia is a common disorder and has affected at least thirty percent of the world population. It affects people of all ages though it more prevalent in adults and the chances of the disorder increases with increase in age. There are three forms of insomnia; transient insomnia, short term insomnia and long term insomnia or chronic insomnia.
Transient insomnia lasts lesser than a week where as short term insomnia has its effect for duration more than one term. In long term insomnia, the disorder can last for about more than 3 weeks. Insomnia is a disorder that affects women more than men. To know about what causes insomnia in women you can go through the following part of the article:
- Stress and worry: Stress is the most common cause for insomnia. There are various reasons for stress in a woman, it can occur due to the death of a near and dear one, loss of employment, problems marital relationship or due to a tragic incident.
- Change in schedule: Change in schedule is an important factor that can cause insomnia. If there is a change in work shift or working hours a woman can get affected by insomnia. Jet lag is also a reason for insomnia.
- Anticipation: Anticipation is also a cause for insomnia in women. If a woman is anticipating a certain occasion like wedding, vacation or an event her sleep may get disturbed and it will become tough for him to remain asleep.
- Health related problems: Insomnia can also be caused due to health related issues like pain, fatigue, stomach ache or indigestion.
- Change in biological clock: If a woman undergoes a change in biological clock due to any reason, she can get affected by insomnia.
- Menstruation and menopause: One very important cause for insomnia in women is menstruation. If there is change in the level of hormones like progesterone or estrogen during menstrual cycle, the chances of insomnia occurring increases. Sometimes when a woman enters menopause she faces change in sleep patterns and it may thus cause insomnia.
- Medications: Insomnia can also be caused due to medication taken for allergies, blood pressure and heart disease.