Hypothyroidism is also known as low thyroid function and is a condition in which there is less than normal amount of thyroid activity and this results in retardation of either mental growth or physical growth or both, in adults as well as children. There are many causes of hypothyroidism and some of them include disorder of the pituitary gland, thyroiditis, deficiency of iodine, and even pregnancy.
In order to cure this condition, there are many treatments that the doctor would be willing to offer, but it is best to use hypothyroidism natural treatment remedies at home.
The following are some of the important home remedies:
Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Remedies
- Reduce caffeine and sugar-one of the best natural remedies for hypothyroidism is to limit the intake of caffeine as well as sugar. Also eliminate refined carbohydrates such as flour from your diet.
- Increase the protein content– what protein does is that it transports the thyroid hormones to all the tissues of the body and this in turn normalizes or balances the hormone function. So it is better to increase the protein content in your diet and include nuts, legumes, antibiotic free animal products like meats, eggs etc.
- Increase the nutrient content– not having enough nutrients or micronutrients in your die can aggravate the symptoms of hypothyroidism and thus it is important to improve the intake of nutrients and minerals such as vitamin D, Iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin A, Copper, omega-3 fatty acids and iodine etc.
- Include fat– it is very important for a person suffering from low thyroid activity to get fat as well as cholesterol in his/her diet. If one has insufficient quantities of fat and cholesterol, then he/she may have abnormal thyroid function. Some healthful fats that you can opt for are ghee, olive oil, fish, nuts, flax seeds, nut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese and even coconut milk products.
- Gluten free diet– one of the natural remedies for hypothyroidism is to go 100% gluten free. This is because the molecular composition of thyroid tissue is similar to that of gluten and thus having gluten can lead to autoimmune attack on the thyroid gland.
- Get some sunshine– early morning sunshine is an essential factor to help you fight with hypothyroidism and hence you must expose your body to some sunlight for atleast 15 minutes every day. This will maintain the Vitamin D level and will help cure the low thyroid activity problem. You can even opt to perform light exercise in the sun.
photo credit: (www.mindbodygreen.com)