The thyroid gland influences our metabolic activity by releasing hormones. Diseases of thyroid range from simple harmless Goiter (enlarged gland) to cancer. Majority of the thyroid problems shows abnormal thyroid hormone production. Thyroid problems are of two types based on the amount of thyroid hormone production.
Excess amount of hormone production is called hyperthyroidism. It can be caused due to many reasons such as Graves Disease, Toxic adenomas, Subacute thyroiditis, Pituitary gland malfunctions or cancerous growth occurred in the thyroid gland.
Graves Disease is a basic disorder resulting in excess production of thyroid hormone and releasing it in the body.
Toxid Adenomas is the secretion of thyroid hormones caused due to Nodular development resulting in chemical hormonal imbalances in the body. There are chances when Graves create these nodules.
Subacute thyroiditis is the inflammation caused by the thyroid resulting in the leakage of excess hormones. This causes a temporary hyperthyroidism that does not last more than few weeks to months.
The cancerous growths occurred in thyroid gland or the Pituitary gland malfunction is one of the rare hyperthyroidism that can develop in the body.
The insufficient/negligible amount of thyroid hormone production in the body is called hypothyroidism. As the body requires a certain amount of hormonal secretion, which is not being managed by the thyroid gland, it causes a decrease in energy levels in the body. It can be caused due to many reasons such as Hashimoto’ thyroiditis, removal of the thyroid gland, exposure of more than required or excessive amount of iodide in the body, lithium etc.
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder caused when the thyroid tissue is attacked by the body resulting in eventual death of the tissue. Hence the production of hormones is stopped.
Thyroid glands can be removed through any surgical procedures or it can also be chemically damaged within the body.
The excess amount of iodide that is present in medicines such as, cold and sinusitis medicines, heart-related medicine amiodarone and even some dyes that are given before taking X-rays may result in overexposure to iodide. This may result in hypothyroidism if you previously had any thyroid related issues.
Lithium is a drug that on over usage can cause hypothyroidism.
If proper treatment is not given to cure hypothyroidism, it can result in a fatal condition called myxedema coma which needs immediate attention.
Hypothyroidism is more dangerous to newborn babies as the lack of enough thyroid hormones at development age can lead to mental retardation or dwarfism (stunted growth). The infants need their thyroid levels checked routinely as anything such as a pituitary disorder or defective thyroid or lack of gland itself can cause minor to severe issues in the overall growth.
It is quite rare to see cancer which occurs in about 5% of thyroid nodules. If thyroid nodules are left for several years, it may result in cancer. People who had any kind of radiation treatment on their neck or head even for cosmetic reasons have more risk than normal people to develop a thyroid cancer.
Diet To Cure Hyperthyroidism
Diet alone may not be enough to cure Hyperthyroidism. Although mild symptoms can be limitedly reduced with diet alone, proper medication is necessary to cure hyperthyroidism. Current studies do not have any diet to cure Hyperthyroidism, but some foods may ease mild symptoms.
- Berries: Berries such as Strawberries, Blueberries, raspberries can be helpful for being antioxidants.
- Broccoli: Since Broccoli is part of goitrogen family, it can decrease the amount of thyroid hormone production. These are known as cruciferous foods. Other cruciferous foods such as cauliflower, cabbage, kale can help if consumed at least once a day.
- Salmon: It can show some benefit as it contains vitamin D that helps in calcium absorption and a high dose of omega-3 fatty acids that keeps the body healthy. Omega-3 fatty acids can be achieved through other foods as well such as flaxseed oil, olive oil, walnuts. So add these to your daily diet.
- Turkey, Beans, and Nuts: These can give enough amount of proteins to the body. One must add it to diet every day to maintain proper body weight.
- Dairy Products: Since hyperthyroidism can gradually weaken the bones that can lead to osteoporosis, try to get at least three servings of yogurt, milk, cheese or other dairy foods a day.
Diet To Cure Hypothyroidism
- Clean Water: It can help hydration and improve digestive functions and it also prevents moodiness and fatigue. Drinking at least eight ounces of water every two hours can improve constipation, sugar cravings and low energy issues.
- Fiber Rich Food: At least 30 – 40 gm of high fiber foods to improve digestive difficulties found in hypothyroidism. It also improves heart’s health and also balances sugar levels.
- Sprouted Seeds: Sprouted seeds such as flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds provide ALA, one type of omega-3 fat that is important for thyroid function and hormonal balance. Required amount of fat intake helps in lowering inflammation and it can also help you in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Bone Broth: Bone broth of beef and chicken stock has the essential amino acids L-proline and L-glycine. It helps in repairing the digestive lining and improve the condition of hypothyroidism. Since it also contains numerous minerals, it nourishes the digestive tract and also prevents deficiencies such as silicon, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium. It also helps in overcoming the food sensitivity issues. It also improves energy and fights fatigue. There are also other uses of it such as lowering the muscle and joint pains.
- Fruits and Vegetables: These are very high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are highly necessary for fighting against free radical damage and reduction of inflammation. They help in digestive health, functioning of the brain, maintenance of healthy weight and hormonal balance as they are dense in the nutrient. So they must be taken in the large quantity of the diet.
- Coconut Oil: It provides a good amount of medium chain fatty acids in caprylic, lauric and capric acid forms which are known to support healthy metabolism while improving healthy energy and also fights against fatigue. It is easy to digest and also easily nourishes the digestive system. It can improve brain function, and balance blood sugar levels. It also has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antioxidant properties that are capable of suppressing inflammation.
Other foods such as wild caught fish, seaweed, and probiotic-rich foods can also help in curing Hypothyroidism.