Folic acid deficiency anemia is a kind or type of an anemia which is caused due to the deficiency of Vitamin B9 or folate in your blood. Folate is a necessary nutrient for the body which helps to make new red blood cells in the body. Red blood cells are also important for the body as they carry oxygen to the various organs.
By lack of folate, one feels tired and weak and this can be a sign of anemia. If a person has folic acid anemia at the time of pregnancy then there is a very high chance that the baby may have a serious risk of developing birth problems or defects. To know more about folic acid deficiency anemia, you can read the following given information about the disease.
The following are the various causes of folic acid deficiency anemia
- The most common cause of this disease is malnutrition which means that if you consume a diet lacking on vitamins, minerals or a diet which is overcooked, then you may develop folic acid deficiency anemia.
- Pregnancy is also a common cause of folic acid deficiency anemia. During the time of pregnancy, the body tends to absorb folic acid in a much slower fashion. Moreover, the fetus also tends to consume the folic acid in your body and thus there is excess shortage of this important nutrient which may cause folic acid deficiency anemia.
- Another cause of this disease is malabsorption which can occur when the body is not able to consume a vitamin or mineral properly.
Risk Factors of Folic Acid Deficiency Anemia
The following are the factors which can increase the risk of folic acid deficiency anemia:
- Having certain medications
- Eating overcooked foods
- Consuming a vitamin-poor diet
- Drinking alcohol heavily
- Certain medical conditions.
Signs and Symptoms of Folic Acid Deficiency Anemia
The following is a list of the most common signs and symptoms of folic acid deficiency anemia
- Fatigue, dizziness, headaches and weakness
- Mouth sores
- Swollen tongue
- Gray hair
- Poor growth
- Difficulty in breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Pale skin
Treating of Folic Acid Deficiency Anemia
The following are the best treatment methods of folic acid deficiency anemia
- The best treatment of folic acid deficiency anemia is to increase the levels of folic acid in your body. The best and easiest ways to achieve this is to have folic acid tablets on an everyday basis. This must be done until the problem is cured.
- You can also eat those foods which are high on folic acid and some of these foods include oranges, spinach greens and pinto beans. You must eat a lot of fresh foods and make it a point to avoid eating fried foods because they are mostly low on nutrients and are high on fat content.
- If these treatments don’t work, then you must contact your doctor and ask for a suitable treatment program for yourself.