What is Colostrum?
Colostrum is the milky fluid that comes from the breasts of humans, cows and some of the other mammals after giving birth to a baby. Colostrum consists of many important nutrients which are essential for the newborn and some of these nutrients are proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates. These nutrients protect the baby against infections and diseases.
The following are some of the other important benefits of colostrum:
Benefits of Colostrum in Breastmilk
- Since colostrum contains high amount of proteins, carbohydrates and other nutrients, it is considered the healthiest food for the new born and is very easy for the baby’s tummy to digest as well.
- Colostrum acts as a natural laxative for the baby and thus it helps the baby to pass stool that are high on the content of bilirubin. By expelling this bilirubin, the baby avoids the chance to jaundice and this is another important benefit of colostrum in breastmilk for a baby.
- Colostrum acts as a natural vaccine for the baby and contains a lot of antibodies which protect the baby from diseases and infections.
- The colostrum in the breastmilk contains an antibody called IgA. This substance considerably helps in warding off the sickness which can affect the newborn.
- The colostrum present in the breastmilk helps in strengthening the gastrointestinal tract of the baby and clears the digestive system. Thus no foreign substance tends to upset the little tummy of the newborn.
- Another major benefit of colostrum is that it is high on the levels of protective white blood cells that are known as leukocytes. These leukocytes protect the body from any microorganisms which are capable of causing disease or infections to the little one.
Benefits of Bovine Colostrum:
Bovine colostrum is also known as cow milk colostrum and has many benefits, the major ones of which are given below:
- Bovine colostrum is a rich natural source of antibodies, nutrients and many elements which are important for the growth of the new born.
- Bovine colostrum is used for the treatment of diarrhea and improves the GI health of the baby by boosting the immune system.
- It is believed that bovine colostrum also contains an element which is helpful in uterus and intestinal contraction and also helps in the lowering of blood pressure.
- Some studies also show that bovine colostrum promotes muscle growth and has anti-aging properties.
- It increases the serum IGF -1 concentration and this is the reason why the supplements are taken by many athletes and other sports persons.
- Bovine colostrum is also helpful in prevention of diarrhea and also has the capacity of high neutralization of bacterial toxins.
- Some reports relating to bovine colostrum has shown or proved that it has the antibodies which fight against many types of organisms such as allergens, toxins such as pneumonia, flu and even candida.
Side Effects of Colostrum
The possible side effects of colostrum are nausea and mild flatulence. Otherwise it is considered to be very well tolerated by babies or others.
Photo Credits By: buzzle.com