Every month, women experience premenstrual syndrome a few days before their menstrual period starts.
Commonly known as PMS, it is a cluster of uncomfortable symptoms that occurs seven to ten days before a woman starts her period.
Premenstrual syndrome symptoms are now believed to be caused by a hormone imbalance before menstruation.
Here are the most common symptoms every woman must be aware of:
- Abdominal bloating
- Breast swelling
- Fluid retention
- Increased thirst
- Increased appetite
- Cravings for sweet or salty foods
- Emotional symptoms including anxiety, irritability, mood swings, depression and hostility
So how do you deal with premenstrual syndrome? What are the effective treatments for it? Below are some of the most effective treatments for PMS:
- Take natural hormone alternatives which contain natural progesterone
- Keep your estrogen levels from rising by increasing intake of dietary fiber. Studies proved that those who are on high-fiber diets suffer less from PMS and its many symptoms
- Take calcium or eat foods rich in calcium
- Take nutritional supplements like vitamin B6, vitamin E, and essential fatty acids.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks and eating allergenic foods
Premenstrual syndrome has many symptoms but they can be treated. Seek the advice of your doctor so you will know which treatment is best for you.