Bladder cancer is a kind of a cancer which arises from epithelial lining of the urinary bladder and in this disease; there is an abnormal multiplication of cells in the bladder. Blood in the urine is a common symptom of this disease and some other symptoms include pain during urination, frequent urination etc.
There are many ways to treat bladder cancer and one of the most common methods which is used by doctors to treat bladder cancer is by giving the patients some anticancer drugs. But it is also important to know that these drugs can cause several side effects. The following are some of the side effects of bladder cancer treatment.
Side Effects of Bladder Cancer Treatment
- One of the most common side effects of bladder cancer treatment is irritation of the bladder.
- This irritation of bladder due to an ongoing bladder cancer treatment may cause either temporary or permanent damage to the bladder or the kidneys.
- In some cases, due to a bladder cancer treatment, the color of the urine may change and the color might change into yellow, green, red or orange.
- The side effects of the bladder cancer treatment also depend upon the type of the treatment and the stage of the treatment which is being given to the patient. For example, if the treatment method followed is cystectomy, then the patient might experience infection or urine leaks and infact if a neobladder is created then the patient might be unable to urinate.
- If the tumor is removed by the means of a surgical procedure, then the side effect that might be caused is mild bleeding and discomfort.
- After cystectomy, men might be unable to get an erection.
- Some other side effects of a bladder cancer treatment is damage to the nerves of the pelvis and even failure to have sexual feelings and getting an orgasm in case of both men and women.
- A side effect of an intravesical chemotherapy procedure for treating bladder cancer is a skin rash or the inflammation of the bladder lining. But these side effects pass within a few days and aren’t anything to worry about. Infact after this treatment, one should take a lot of precautions such as sitting down while urinating etc.
If you are experiencing any of these side effects, then you must immediately get consultation from your doctor and avoid developing any major issue.