Preeclampsia is a medical condition which is characterized by high blood pressure and marks the presence of high amounts of protein presence in the urine of a pregnancy woman. This condition is very serious during pregnancy and may affect both the mother and the baby. It generally arises in the second half of the pregnancy and may even occur some days after the baby is born.
If preeclampsia is not treated at the right time, then it can lead to a life threatening condition called eclampsia in which the pregnant woman experiences seizures. There are many reasons for preeclampsia during pregnancy and some of them include presence of substances of placenta, white blood pressure elevation etc. The following are the preeclampsia symptoms in early pregnancy:
- High blood pressure which is also termed as hypertension is the first and most common sign of preeclampsia during early pregnancy but it is highly likely that this sign is ignored or not noticed.
- Another common symptom of preeclampsia during early pregnancy is protein in urine or the condition of proteinuria. Even this is a condition which is likely to be ignored or left unnoticed.
Having a combination of both these symptoms is definitely a clear indicator of preeclampsia during pregnancy and must be consulted by the doctor.
- Once the condition of preeclampsia develops and progresses further, it may cause fluid retention. This fluid retention causes the feet to swell. In some cases, the swelling may also be prevalent in other parts of the body such as face, hands and ankles.
- Having severe headaches is another sign of having preeclampsia during pregnancy and must not be ignored if it happens over a long period of time.
- In some cases, women with preeclampsia may experience vision related problems such as seeing flashing lights or having blurry vision.
- Vomiting is also a progressive symptom of preeclampsia during early pregnancy.
- Another sign which indicates towers preeclampsia during pregnancy is pain in the upper abdomen, just below the ribs.
- As fluid builds up, excessive weight gain may follow and this also could be an indicator of preeclampsia in early pregnancy.
- A woman who has preeclampsia in early pregnancy may feel unwell on a general basis and this sign should not be ignored.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, then doctor’s consultation is advised.