Pregnant women may likely be bombarded with advice about what to eat during pregnancy and perhaps even more so, with advise about what not to eat at this time. We have tried to put together a definitive list of 20 foods that you should try and eat most of during pregnancy:
- Yoghurt – This should definitely be on your list of what to eat during pregnancy. It is a good source of calcium, keeps your gut healthy and it is best you have the non-sweetened, natural bacteria kind.
- Milk – Experts advise that milk should form a part of a pregnancy diet because a woman needs extra calcium at this time. Make it skim milk, and vary it by creating fruit and veggie smoothies from it.
- Spinach – This dark green, leafy vegetable is highly nutritious, very versatile food that can be added to bakes, soups, salads and so on. It is a good source of many of the nutrients that are vital during pregnancy.
- Broccoli – Another dark green vegetable that should be part of what to eat during pregnancy, which is great because pregnant women need extra folic acid and iron during this time.
- Eggs – This is a wonder food, packed with goodness and nutrition. And if you’re thinking of excluding the egg yolks, don’t. It is the yolks that contain the most vital nutrients. Aim for an egg a day, or at least every other day during pregnancy.
- Nuts – Aim for a handful of mixed nuts several times a week as a healthy, and amazingly nutritious snack. Pecans, almonds, walnuts, contain healthy fats, minerals and vitamins, all good for the expectant mom.
- Salmon – It is recommended that in the list for what to eat during pregnancy fish should be had twice a week. Salmon and many other fish have high quality protein, healthy fats and other nutrients. But remember to avoid types that are high in mercury such as tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel.
- Muesli – This is cereal with rolled oats, fruits and nuts is something we think of as a breakfast item, but it is great to munch on at any time of the day. Add milk, fresh chopped fruit or eat it just like that.
- Beans – By beans we mean lentils and chickpeas as well – wonderfully versatile and packed with the goodness of fiber and nutrition. These are particularly important in a list for what to eat during pregnancy for vegetarian or vegan moms.
- Lean meat – This is another source of high quality protein that is necessary for pregnant women. Look for lean cuts of beef and pork, because these contain choline as well, another nutrient vital for a healthy pregnancy.
While this is far from a comprehensive list of what to eat during pregnancy, it is a guide for the kind of foods that are best for pregnant women and their unborn babies. Remember to concentrate on eating lots of unprocessed, brightly colored fruit and vegetables and have less of processed, sugary, fried or salty foods for a healthy pregnancy.