If you have decided to have a baby and are trying to conceive, you would naturally like to know what is likely to improve your chances at conceiving a baby.
Here are some of the top tips that will help you get pregnant soon:
1. Don’t leave it too late – If you’re trying to conceive you should know the quality of your eggs can and do deteriorate with time.
The chances of getting pregnant and of carrying a pregnancy successfully to term both get lower as age increases. It is best to try and get pregnant before the age of 35.
2. Go off your birth control – This is obviously the first thing to do, but remember that if you’ve been on birth control pills or have been on any other hormonal contraceptive, it can take a few monthly cycles for your ovulation and menstrual cycle to regularize.
Getting pregnant could take less time if you’ve been using the barrier method however.
3. Get mentally and emotionally ready for motherhood – Before trying to conceive consider whether you are emotionally and mentally ready to become a mother.
Having a baby is a huge commitment, and a life altering event that will change all of your life’s priorities. It is also the most rewarding and uplifting job in the world.
4. Consult with a doctor – If you have any medical conditions (STDs, diabetes, recent surgery etc), or nutritional deficiencies that could impact a pregnancy consult with a doctor.
Even otherwise you could consult with a doctor for suggestions about what multivitamin to take, the dosage of folic acid to start and about any calcium and iron supplements that may be needed.
5. Get healthy – Not only should you try and get to a healthy weight by eating healthy and exercising, you should maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout pregnancy. If you’re trying to conceive you should give up smoking altogether (it actually impacts fertility negatively) and alcohol to the extent possible. Avoid environmental toxins, pesticides and so on.
6. Reduce stress – Stress is another factor that may get in the way of your getting pregnant. Whether it is job related stress, worries about your finances, emotional stress due to a relationship or simply the stress of trying to conceive all of these can impact fertility negatively.
7. Recognize the signs of ovulation – It is important to be fully familiar with your menstrual cycle, its length and so on. Also you should know the signs of ovulation: most women have some changes in cervical mucus, some experience some mid cycle pain and have other symptoms. Know your symptoms and consider getting a thermometer to measure your basal temperature which rises during ovulation.
8. Have sex – Coincide sexual intercourse with ovulation to improve your chances of getting pregnant. And it is important to be relaxed and to enjoy the experience even if you’re trying to conceive. Don’t let that prey on your mind too much because the tension and stress is not going to help you get pregnant.